Пропускане към основното съдържание

Vili's bizarre 3D printing adventures, part 10 - The forest nymph

Here we are, my dear readers! Standing at the end of this adventure that I have started to write about back in March! I really hope that you enjoyed my articles so far and found them a tiny bit helpful!

After a little break I will continue to update this blog and my Medium profile with more personal projects and hopefully future colaborations with friends!

The last model that I had to print was of one very beautiful and mysterious forest nymph created by Pavlina Koleva for the Character design course at CGZEN.

Forest nymph by Pavlina Koleva
What a lovely lady! I think she is probably the guardian of the woods.

Model analysis

As you can see the model consists of only three pieces - two horns and the head. Details are everywhere and we have to be extra cautious with the ones on the horns.

The model imported into 3Ds Max
After import into 3Ds Max, I scaled the object up to 3200% which in turn Cura later measured as 15 cm height. This is in touch with the client's briefing. Now, lets slice!

Slicing in Cura

Starting with the head, since it is more complicated. The positioning on this one is just as you see it on the picture below.

The head sliced in Cura
This was the only possible option. The supports appear right under her chin since the overhang is very big. Still the damages can be easily post processed after printing. I didn't choose Gyroid as an infill pattern and decided to stick with the default Grid one since it suggested a better print time. The layer height is at 0.12mm which gave a pretty good detail.

Settings:

  • Layer height - 0.12mm
  • Infill - Grid pattern, 25%
  • Supports - Touching buildplate, Density - 35%, Pattern - Grid, Support Z distance - 0.3mm
  • Buildplate adhesion - Brim
  • Nozzle diameter - 0.4mm
  • Time taken - 4 hours and 43 minutes
Left horn sliced in Cura
I tried different positions for the horns but in the end I couldn't minimize the amount of generated supports. So far this was the most acceptable. The pattern used here is Zig-Zag and for the infill - Gyroid.

Settings:

  • Layer height - 0.12mm
  • Infill - Gyroid pattern, 10%
  • Supports - Touching buildplate, Density - 45%, Pattern - Zig-Zag, Support Z distance - 0.3mm
  • Buildplate adhesion - Brim
  • Nozzle diameter - 0.4mm
  • Time taken - 2 hours and 20 minutes
Post print





The horns turned out actually very nice. The head, just as I expected, had some damages under the chin. Now I  will show you the definition of so close, yet so far...

First draft of the head
I admit the world ended for me that night (and the Mandalorian as well)! The deadline was approaching very fast and I, of course, panicked again! The printer got the fillament tied into a knot for the second time and ruined the last ten minutes of the print job!!!!!!

Next day, first thing in the morning was to get up and start the printing all over again but this time I kept an eye on this naughty boy! :D Luckily, my Ultimaker behaved like a good guy and I managed to complete project just one week before the deadline!

The grande finale!

And so after four months of hard work on both sides (Martin's and mine), finally the time for Additive day's 2020 came! Behold, people!




Just look at them!! So beautiful!! Absolutely amazing! Martin and his team at CGZEN did fantastic job with the post processing!! Even the granny gamer has her glasses and cigar! By the way the crocodile wasn't done on my printer. I saw him way back in 2015 at the CG2 Code for art conference:


Well, he used to have a hat as you can see. :D

The exhibition was a success! The visitors liked the figures a lot! I am also very glad that my friends from Sofia and Plovdiv accepted the invitation and came to see the conference. 

Thank you so much awesome guys and girls for coming and honoring the hard work and effort that was put into this exhibition by Martin, his team and me! <3

This means a lot! I wish I had the time to talk to all of you and take photos together. Hope to fix this soon after the stupid virus decides to disappear...

The date 22.02.2020 - I will remember it forever! It was truly the best day of my life!

Here are some more pictures:













The world of 3D printing is simply amazing and very exciting! It still has a long way to go and I am sure that many more interesting and great things can be done with this technology, especially in the field of medicine.

What a great end to this journey! Of course, as a token of gratitude for the help I also received a gift from my mentor:


I fell totally in love with the t-shirt and the mug! <3 Foxie boy is always watching me on the desk while I am working in the office and now the summer is just beginning and I can show off my cool t-shirt! :3

Final thoughts and conclusion

The entire project was something new to me. I have never tried to print figures of this type of difficulty. I wasn't even sure how to prepare the 3D models for printing before the slicing process. The challenge was very big for me and my trusty Ultimaker 2+. I wanted to complete the task to the best of my abilities. After all I didn't want to disappoint my mentor Martin who entrusted me with this important mission.

In the end I came out stronger and more confident. Learned a lot of useful things. Stumbled upon interesting problems to which I was trying to find the solution by myself or asking around my friends with 3D printers and of course the cool guys from the 3D printing studio B2N.

I was excited and the same time honored to be able to work with Martin Punchev. He as an absolutely amazing and kind person and also a very big professional in the field of 3D modelling and concept art! What he does truly deserves more attention and recognition, because he is working very hard to help develop the Bulgarian digital art scene and build a friendly community where you can meet fellow digital and traditional artists and exchange thoughts and experience together.

I am glad that I discovered CGZEN five years ago! A friend of mine recommended me the school. Back there she was studying in the Character design course. I, on the other hand, was doing my first tries in 3D modelling with Autodesk Maya.

Sometime around the middle of October, I went with my best friend to CG2 Code for art conference hosted by Chaos group in Sofia. There I saw the booth of CGZEN and of course the penguin Kriss, which is the mascot of the school. Needless to say I took enough pictures and got a flyer to read on my way back home.

Back there CGZEN had lessons mostly for ZBrush. I thought that this is too hard for me to try at the moment, but still decided to keep it in mind for the future.

Three years passed since then. Meanwhile I was on my second job as a 3D artist in a small indie game studio situated in Plovdiv. After one year and half I was still stuck on one mediocre level without any real progress.

That's why I decided to look for professional courses in Bulgarian. And then the name CGZEN came to my mind and checked their website. Luckily, there was a new course about 3Ds Max for beginners available.

Three months after I left the studio and one try to make a test task for Ubisoft, I finally contacted Martin and decided to sign up for the 3Ds Max course. I just had to start fresh from the very beginning.
Almost four months later, I began studying in my second course in ZBrush!

My encounters with this program were limited to accidentall click on the icon,wait for it to load and then hit the close button.

After I completed the Essence of Zbrush course which was four weeks, now I can use Zbrush freely for my personal projects without any difficulties.

The teachers are amazing! Absolutely the best professionals in their fields and are always there to help and explain whatever questions you may have. Studying there was a pleasure and joy for me! Come to think about it, I should have signed up earlier! :D

If you guys need lessons in 2D and 3D in Bulgarian, CGZEN is the right place for you!

To conclude this long journal entry, I just want to say thank you for following these series! I promise to return back again with new articles and stories about 3D printing and 3D modelling!







Коментари

Популярни публикации от този блог

Pillars of Nosgoth side project part 2

Hey,everyone! I have returned with another blog post of mine. Part 2 of The Pillars of Nosgoth side project. Finally managed to finish it up and i can proudly present it to you! This is the final version of the scene! Now i will explain i how i did the terrain and all other small thingies. It will be a long post, sooo stay with me! :D The poor terrain went through so many changes until i find something that i really like and it resembles a bit the original from the games. Deleted all old things and started again. As you can see i added some trees and a terrain material. For the material i watched this very helpful tutorial:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IqqzKvBc9hc I tweaked it a little bit to make it suitable for a terrain - inserted a LandscapeCoord node and plugged it into the texture nodes inside Unreal Engine 4's Material Editor. But still something was off and i wanted to add some more textures to the terrain and apparently with this mate

Vili's bizarre 3D printing adventures, part 3 - The beetle warrior

Hello again, everone! I hope you are all well and safe out there during these strange times. To cheer up your day here is another entry of my 3D printing journal. Returning back to the figurines that I printed for my mentor Martin Punchev  for the exhibition of his students works from the  Character design course  at Additive days 2020 conference. Next one in the second batch was a model of one very brave beetle warrior modeled by Mihail Topalov . Beetle warrior by Mihail Topalov I will tell you a secret - this is one of my top favorites <3. Model analysis As you can see here we have a lot of small and frail parts like the antennas of the beetle and his weapon. My mentor Martin told me to pay extra attention to them. Also we have two sets of arms and one set of hands, one set of legs and feet, one head, body and wings. A lot of parts,huh? ;) Following the briefing the head should be more detailed as well as the top of the weapon. All other parts can use more

Pillars of Nosgoth side project

Hey,everyone! Finally found the time to update this blog :D. This time i started a side project a few months ago. It is a tribute to my all time favorite franchise Legacy of Kain! I have always wanted to do the pillars of Nosgoth. They are so amazing and mysterious! The Pillars are central for the story in all 5 games. You can read more about them here: http://legacyofkain.wikia.com/wiki/Pillars_of_Nosgoth And so i started my journey: First the low poly of the pillar and the base. Of course the platform gave me headaches and had to redo it a couple of times until i get the shape the right way. All of them together with the color map done. Even the platform looks okay now with the right shape. After i did  the models i turned to Unreal engine 4 and started assembling the scene. The terrain tool is very handy in the engine. I also did a bit of greyboxing, modeled some walls and archways but there was still something about the entire thing that was